Assignment: Paper on a topic related to nursing such as handwashing, patient safety, fall prevention, cultural sensitivity, etc.
1. Use one of the databases listed under 'Journal Articles' on the Research Tools tab to search for articles on your topic. Most recommended are CINAHL Complete or ProQuest Nursing & Allied Health Source.
2. Try any of the search terms listed below, depending on your topic:
3. Set limiters on your search.
5. Find citations relevant to your research. Add them to your folder (if you don't have one, create one).
6. Obtain the article using one of these methods:
This assignment will require the exploration of the pros and cons of evidence based practice (EBP) in nursing. An understanding of the concepts of nursing research and evidence based practice as well as their impact on nursing will be addressed.
The paper should include the following:
1. Discuss the pros and cons of evidence-based practice in nursing.
2. How does clinical expertise and patient preferences fit into the total reliance on research as a basis for nursing practice?
3. What happens to the art of nursing practice, which was considered a valuable clinical tool for decades, if nurses rely on research only?
4. Does caring have a role in evidence-based practice?
5. Include your personal response to the key concepts regarding the pros and cons of EBP in nursing.
6. Utilize 2-3 peer reviewed nursing journal articles to substantiate your views.
7. The paper must be written in APA style format and be 2-3 pages in addition to the title and reference page.
Your primary subject from which you will use as a foundation to build your searches on is 'evidence-based practice'. Use the subject headings guide to find the database's term for evidence-based practice. For example, in CINAHL, you would select 'CINAHL Headings' at the very top to search for evidence based practice. The results show that 'Nursing Practice, Evidence Based' is the Major Subject Heading for this topic. Put a check mark in the box next to the term and then click the big green button on the right that reads 'Search Database'.
From there you can then add secondary topics in the search box below this, such as 'caring' or 'patient preference' or 'advantages'. Try different combinations to find results that support your points, but keep your main search topic as 'Nursing Practice, Evidence Based"